Wednesday, March 28, 2012

More grouping Woes!

I have a result set of consisting of names and addresses. each person at a
particular address (1-n people) gets an identical groupid to group them in a
"Family".
My report lists each column, groupid, name, address, with one row for each
person. I would like for it to group on the groupid, then list each person in
a subgroup sorted by name.
When I set a "group" row on my report and group on the groupid, all i get is
the first row of the family, and the rest of the data is dropped. how do i
get the group to show all the data? I am using RS2005 with VS2005.
thank you in advance for your help!!I ran into a similar problem a little while ago. I had numerical data based
on the # of hours worked and then a description of what was done in those
hours. I grouped on the person and date and then summed the hours they
worked for that span of time so my output looked something like:
John Doe
11/12/2006
Regular OT Description
On-Site 8 0 Worked on
server.
Remote 0 2
However the description for the remote would not print out, even though the
output was =fields!onsitenotes.value & fields!remotenotes.value, because they
were in the same group
What I wound up doing was setting a different group underneath the name/date
for each row of data(on-site, remote) I'm not sure if you will be able to do
exactly that but I basically had to assign some flags based on the work-type
(on-site, remote, etc) in the query and then group on those flags.
So it wound up being something like:
Group1(
John Doe
11/12/2006
Regular OT
Description
Group2 ( On-Site 8 0 Worked
on server.)
Group3 ( Remote 0 2 Helped on
the phone.)
)
--
Message posted via SQLMonster.com
http://www.sqlmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/sql-server-reporting/200612/1

No comments:

Post a Comment