Friday, March 30, 2012

More problems with hidden parameters

I've read that in SP1, it should be possible to hide a parameter without
blanking the prompt and therefore making it read only.
I have attempted to do this in the recommended way, i.e. by unticking the
"prompt user" check box for the parameter within report manager and
leaving the prompt with a value in it. However, when I then try to pass a
value for the parameter at runtime via a URL I get the error "Parameter1 is
read-only and cannot be modified".
N.B. I notice that when I then go back into the properties of the report,
the prompt for the parameter has been
changed from what it originally was to "Parameter1:" which is the name of
the parameter. I should also mention that this report is running against a
Sybase database.This is the defined behavior. If the 'prompt user' check box is not checked
then the parameter value can never be passed in, not via URL or SOAP. If
the parameter is marked 'prompt user' but it has no prompt string then the
Report Server toolbar will not prompt for the parameter and the parameter
can be passed in. If the 'prompt user' check box is check and there is a
prompt string then the Report Server toolbar will prompt the user and the
value can be passed in.
Does that help?
--
-Daniel
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
"GML" <g_m_lowe@.hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
news:#9sQcGIgEHA.2020@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> I've read that in SP1, it should be possible to hide a parameter without
> blanking the prompt and therefore making it read only.
> I have attempted to do this in the recommended way, i.e. by unticking the
> "prompt user" check box for the parameter within report manager and
> leaving the prompt with a value in it. However, when I then try to pass a
> value for the parameter at runtime via a URL I get the error "Parameter1
is
> read-only and cannot be modified".
> N.B. I notice that when I then go back into the properties of the report,
> the prompt for the parameter has been
> changed from what it originally was to "Parameter1:" which is the name of
> the parameter. I should also mention that this report is running against
a
> Sybase database.
>
>|||Actually that helps me, wished I'd found this one before posting my own
question.
I should add that this is not the way the readme for SP1 suggests it should
work, it says that previously removing the check from the Promp User used to
make the parameter read only, but this behaviour has changed.
Regards
Mike Hanson
"Daniel Reib [MSFT]" wrote:
> This is the defined behavior. If the 'prompt user' check box is not checked
> then the parameter value can never be passed in, not via URL or SOAP. If
> the parameter is marked 'prompt user' but it has no prompt string then the
> Report Server toolbar will not prompt for the parameter and the parameter
> can be passed in. If the 'prompt user' check box is check and there is a
> prompt string then the Report Server toolbar will prompt the user and the
> value can be passed in.
> Does that help?
> --
> -Daniel
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
>
> "GML" <g_m_lowe@.hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:#9sQcGIgEHA.2020@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > I've read that in SP1, it should be possible to hide a parameter without
> > blanking the prompt and therefore making it read only.
> > I have attempted to do this in the recommended way, i.e. by unticking the
> > "prompt user" check box for the parameter within report manager and
> > leaving the prompt with a value in it. However, when I then try to pass a
> > value for the parameter at runtime via a URL I get the error "Parameter1
> is
> > read-only and cannot be modified".
> >
> > N.B. I notice that when I then go back into the properties of the report,
> > the prompt for the parameter has been
> > changed from what it originally was to "Parameter1:" which is the name of
> > the parameter. I should also mention that this report is running against
> a
> > Sybase database.
> >
> >
> >
>
>sql

No comments:

Post a Comment